Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dear People of the Kitsap/Olympic Peninsula:

Your food is awful. Just awful. Should I have to fly East to get good Mexican food? I won't drop names, because I have not had any Mexican worth recommending since I got West of the Mississippi River. Not sure if it's the Scandinavian heritage here or what, but the people of this area like the blandest food in the universe. I can't even find a decent brewpub, the only one I have yet been to, Silver City, has an atmosphere like Applebee's and I can't stand it.
The irony of this is, of course, that I can jump on a ferry for 45 minutes and be in the center of one of the best food cultures in the world: Pike Place Market. I just don't know what the problem is with getting that food to come across the Sound.
There are four noble exceptions that do deserve mention on the Peninsula:
La Poblanita has great Mexican food. It's real, and includes a nice little grocery store attached.

Luigi's Baking has the best bread I've ever had. If you like the Jewish burnt bakery taste, you will love this.

Hi-Lo's I'm not even sure if it's the food or just the unbelievably good mood everybody is in when I go there.

New Delhi Restaurant I cannot tell you how thankful I am to have good Indian food in town.

Please, please patronize these people so that they stay in business and do well. If there was one of these on every corner, this would be a 100% better place to live!

This has been a public service announcement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ciao, from Luigi the baker.
My web crawler found your post and I thought I'd write to tell you to keep the faith. I moved here just 6 years ago and the movement has begun. I was so sick from a lack of bread that I opened the bakery just so that I had a ready supply. More will follow.

I love breakfast at the patio while it is still warm enough to sit by the water.

The sushi at Hero in Port Orchard is fresh and creative, and next on my list to try is Mary Mac's at McCormac woods golf course.

For five years I spent my Saturdays taking the Southworth Ferry to West Seattle to crawl the bakeries, pubs and markets. Have you been to Endolyne Joes or Metropolitan Market?

Live Love and Eat well my friends.
Thanks for the words.
Luigi the baker